Well, I finished the electrics and electronic ignition installation on the 3C. Time to return it and the other two to their owners. So I loaded up the van with the Motodd and the Jota too.
While waiting at Santander port I noticed the Bentley boys had come out to play. There had been a rally in Spain and they were returning home. Pity about the weather.
Bikes delivered in the UK, visit to family and back yesterday. Time on the way home to collect this beauty. I seem to be collecting them. (the white frame one is now sold though)
Another day on the 3C electrics.
I finally finished the wiring, including starter cables, HT leads and connecting the Shindengen r/r. All that remains is the Sachse electronic ignition system.
It is all connected. All I have to do now is connect a battery and set the ignition timing. An LED lights up when the ignition is timed correctly by rotating a metal disc with a cut out past an optical sensor, then fixing the disc to the crank with 2 grub screws.
As I am collecting a new battery tomorrow that will be tomorrow's task.
I spent the whole day working on fitting a new wiring harness to the 3C. The old CDI ignition type have a really messy way of connecting in the headlamp shell. Later BTZ type wiring was much simplified and consists of a series of multi-pin connectors. Not this bike... Anyway, I managed to complete all the wiring in the headlamp, tail light and indicators.
Tomorrow I will connect the horns, brake switches and then start on the new Sachse electronic ignition system.
I took my bike out for a run to Barajas (near Madrid airport) to the Moto Club Sanglas meeting this morning.
They meet up in the morning then go for a 200km ride out, but I just went along to meet old friends and absorb the atmosphere.
As usual an eclectic mix of bikes, from scooters, through Harleys, small 2 strokes, old Jap bikes (rare in Spain) and the rag tag of Sanglas bikes.
And here is a clip of the start of the ride out.
I started work on an early 3C today. It is a pre-oil cooler, big headlamp (200mm instead of 180mm) but it has front disc brakes, not the highly desirable drum front brake version.
It's surprising how many subtle differences there are between this and later 180 triples. Brackets, casings, electrics and so on.
I had to get the inner alternator cover welded up as the threads were broken, and now I am fitting a new wiring loom.
It would have been great to shine this one up like the others but the remit is only to rewire it.
I will take some better pics tomorrow, only boring wiring pics so far to remind me what goes where.
So, both the Motodd and the Jota are finished and ready to go their new owners.
Finally completed the last few items on the Jota.
All that remains is to give it a good clean and polish and then it is ready to be delivered to it's new owner.
He requested I remove the fairing and fit chrome indicators and a Witt ignition system and Dyna coils. So it has taken me a couple of weeks to source the parts and fit them.
It's the end of an era as it is the last self-funded restoration I will be doing. I'm sure there will be a few projects along the way, but none restored to this level.
I hope you like it.
It seems that the sprocket on the Atlas was in fact a Yamaha part which happened to have the same spline dimensions as the Atlas. No wonder the locking plate would not fit. A replacement lock plate is now on it's way.
Work continues on the Jota. Ignition timing is complete and it is running well on curve 6 of the Witt system. This is appropriate as the engine has 4C cams and 9.8:1 compression pistons as well as the 'free flowing' Jota silencers.
I now have to fine tune the carbs etc and then give it a goo clean and polish and it will be ready for delivery to it's new owner.
These 2 bikes are that last one I had for sale. Now it's time to focus on other projects.
The parcel containing chain and sprockets finally arrived.
The rear sprocket fitted well and then I refitted the wheel.
As I tried to fit the front sprocket I realised the threaded holes in the new sprocket were in a different position to those in the old sprocket. This meant that the splined hole in the sprocket aligned exactly with the locking plate when the screw holes were lined up. This, in turn, meant the sprocket would not be locked to the output shaft. I have now taken this up with the supplier as I will need either a new (correct) sprocket or a new lock plate that aligns correctly with the sprocket and shaft splines. At least the bike is back on 2 wheels so I can move it out of the way so I can work on something else until the solution arrives. At least the tyres look cool.
I got the wheels back today after the shop fitted new tyres and inner tubes.
I went for Metzeler Tourance Next type as the new owner said he will not really use it off road.
Refitted the front wheel, but still waiting on a parcel containing the new chain and sprockets before I refit the rear wheel. I will have to reclaim the parcel from the post office in the morning as they don't open after 2pm here.