I will not be posting for a few days so here are some previous restorations to amuse you.
Today was spent tearing down another bike so the engine can be stripped and checked and the frame repaired and painted. Many things to fix on this one.
First start, still lots of little things to finish off, but Woo Hoo!!!
As I am still feeling quite ill I have not been able to spend much time in the cave.
I finished timing the engine and fitted the throttle cable on the bike on the workbench.
I then started rebuilding another set of carbs as the brass parts arrived in the post.
I now have to start the 2 bikes up, Motodd for the first time since the full rebuild, and the other one so I can tell what condition the engine is in before I start stripping that one down for an otherwise cosmetic rebuild. I had to restore the carbs first as they were badly gummed up.
Not much done recently as I have had a migraine since Sunday evening.
I went out this morning and fitted the oil cooler, but still did not feel very good, so works stops again for a while.
Last weekend I fitted new pilot jets to my own bike, POP. Not often I get time to work on it.
Now the weather is calming down (mid 20s, has been mid 30s for 6 weeks until recently) I took it out for a ride to check if the jets made a difference to slow speed running. The original 17.5 jets in the Mikunis made it cough and stumble off idle.
The new 20 pilot jets have totally cured that problem and it carburates perfectly now. Result!
I also road tested the new bar end mirrors. Being weighted they reduce vibrations in the handlebar and also give a clear view, even if they are smaller than normal.
Time to get riding now.
Today I have to fit the cams, shims and buckets. This is not a simple job at the best of times.
It is made more difficult as the head has new valve seats which means there is no data for shim thickness.
How this is done is to make a guess at required shim size, install the cams, torque the head and join the cam chain before measuring clearances. Then it will 99 times out of 100 be wrong so the chain has to be opened, the cams and buckets removed in order to remove the wrong shims.
Then it is simply a case of calculating the required shim thickness now that you know the original shim size AND the resultant clearance between cam lobe and bucket.
So, basically with new valve seats it is a job that has to be done twice unless you are very lucky.
Shims measured and data recorded Cams during installation
So, after some hard work the cams are installed and the valve clearances set.
The initial estimate for shim thickness was close, but not close enough, and all 6 shims had to be replaced.
Now the gaps are as they should be, 0.25mm exhaust and 0.20mm inlet.
I installed the electrics plates and tidied up the routing of the wiring. Job done.
Next was to refurbish the rear brake master cylinder. This was cleaned thoroughly and a new piston and seals fitted.
Then it was installed on the bike, just needing to be bled now.
Today I was determined to finish off the electrics on the Motodd.
Finally made all the connections in the headlamp shell and refitted the headlamp.
Then I removed the 2 alloy plates under the seat where the electrical boxes are fixed.
These got painted up and the boxes refitted.
Tomorrow I will refit the plates and tidy up the wiring in that area.
Then on to timing the engine and ignition.