Stripped the carbs on the Harris and inspected/cleaned the individual parts before giving the carb bodies a few hours at 80ºC in the ultrasonic bath.
I ordered up some new float valves and will rebuild them with new seals/gaskets as appropriate later in the week.
Managed to do a bit more to the green bike's engine as more parts arrived.
Fitted Kevlar friction plates in the clutch and new clutch cush rubbers.
Lock plate on the drive sprocket and rear sprocket on the rear wheel. Also fitted the newly repainted swing arm.
Oil pump timing gear and duplex primary chain. Still waiting on delivery of the high output oil pump.
Got another bike to work on this week, Harris 1200. Started by stripping the carbs. I'll strip and inspect them and then give the bodies a long soak in the ultrasonic bath before blasting the air ways with high pressure air. Once refitted I'll see what else it needs. Very trick bike, might be for sale soon.
I also made time to work on my own bike. It had a little issue but then the battery got frazzled when I recharged it, as the 'smart' charger had crapped itself and was randomly spewing out anything from 6 to 20 volts, constantly varying. Fitted new battery today and have ordered a new charger.
Lots of work on the new unit too. New sockets and fluorescent lights this week, new staircase in the coming weeks and then I can build shelving in the area designated for the store room, and finally get all the stuff out of boxes and crates again.
Collected bodywork for the RGA Jota from the painter, fairing still to be finished but should get it next week. I stripped that engine this week too so lots to do on that bike as well.
And the weather has turned nice again, and forecast for the next couple of days so will try to find time to get out on my bike to explore the area.
It's good being able to get back to doing bike stuff again. Spent 10hrs on the green bike's engine this weekend.
Today I refitted the crank and cam chain, rebuilt the selector drum and fitted the gearbox. Then it was just a matter of bolting the 2 cases together. I then refurbished the starter clutch. I stopped there as I had a growing list of parts that I thought I had but either couldn't find them or maybe I had used them previously. So, a new wish list was sent off to my supplier and progress will resume in due course.
I still have a million things to do so I won't be idle. Plus the electricians are back tomorrow so that slows me down a bit.
Well, I got the new bike table finished with 2 layers of 18mm plywood, will easily take 250kg of bike.
Also had electricians in fitting a new control box and sockets, still work in progress. Back Monday to sort out the lighting. The place will really start to function properly then.
Started stripping down the RGA engine. Looks neat and tidy inside but will have all the critical dimensions checked out before vapour blasting the engine parts. The bodywork has all been painted now, curing for a couple of days so I will collect it some time next week.
I also spent time on the green bike engine. Cases were vapour blasted and thoroughly washed, blown down and repeated to remove all traces of blast medium (ceramic beads). Today I started fitting all the require parts to the lower case (oil filter, camchain pedestal, neutral switch and frame studs. On the top case I fitted the breather assembly, through studs and oil cooler adaptors, with Dowty washers.
Next on the agenda will be selector mechanism, gear shafts and crank.
Lots of hard work recently to kit out and organise the workshop. I made a work bench and 4 work bays as I plan to be able to work on up to 4 bikes at a time.
I managed to source a second bike table, painted it yesterday and will fit a new platform to it next week.
I also built a mobile work table so I can work on engines more easily.
I have managed to start working on the bikes again. Stripped down the silver bike engine and started work again on the green bike. Easier now I have so much more space.