They were pretty rusty underneath so I gave them a thorough sanding as well.
I cleaned them up and then used wash coat primer before a couple of coats of standard primer, followed by a couple of coats of black. I get my painter to make up spray cans for me when there are a lot of small fiddly parts to spray.
He can do it in any colour or type (gloss, satin, matt, primer etc) and the spray nozzle gives a similar spray pattern to a professional spray gun.
I will let the final coat harden overnight, then rebuild the shocks tomorrow. I have all the required parts freshly prepared (paint, chrome, seals) and will get some Ceriani stickers made tomorrow too.
The top yoke was cleaned, stripped and sanded then painted as per the shock bodies.
I still need to remove the bearing from the lower yoke before stripping and painting that too.
I also stripped, cleaned and sanded the fork sliders but will probably paint them in satin black.